Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Talking to God confidently....

Hebrews 4:16 "So let us approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

I remember vividly a time as a teenager when I did whatever I could to avoid my dad. I had made a foolish choice and I didn't want to face him or the consequences that would follow. For a week I was successful, but then came the moment of truth. Yes, there was a consequence, but it was meted out in a context of mercy instead of anger.

I learned from that experience that I could trust my father's love for me. I didn't need to fear coming to him when I had messed up. In the same way, I have learned that I don't need to hide from my Heavenly Father when I have sinned. Jesus, who knows first hand what we're going through, stands before the Father as our advocate, pleading our case. Notice the throne of God is called the "throne of grace".

Yes, there are consequences to sin, but there is also an abundant supply of mercy, grace, and forgiveness. I love to come before my Father when I am in need because I know He wants the best for me. He looks forward to helping me in any circumstance.

Tonight, just before I close my eyes, I want to be able to approach God joyfully and confidently, knowing that I have served Him well this day. I want to feel His smile of approval. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment