Thursday, August 11, 2011

Why doesn't God listen to me? What am I doing wrong?

Hebrews 11:4 "By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain..."

"What do you say/" "Thank you." How many times did you have that conversation with your mom when you were little? I can remember repeating the words time after time, but it was really nothing more than a ritual. The first time I remember spontaneously, from the heart, thanking someone was when my dad surprised me with my first puppy. No one had to tell me to say thank you. It escaped from somewhere deep inside me.

It's the same in my relationship with God. I've learned all the rote prayers, I can recite Bible verses, but none of that matters much if it isn't heartfelt. God knows me inside out and there's no way I can fake worship. Other people might see me as pious and sincere, but God examines my heart.

The Bible doesn't give us the details as to why Abel's sacrifice was acceptable and Cain's wasn't. It also doesn't tell us how they knew. It does tell us that the key was faith or, in Cain's case, a lack of it. Abel worshiped God from a pure, sincere, trusting heart. Cain, on the other hand, appears to have been going through the motions.

Holy Spirit, please keep my worship fresh, spontaneous, and vibrant. Let my praise and thanks be sincere and joyous throughout the day today. Amen!

1 comment:

  1. I find the second part of your title interesting- "what am I doing wrong"....James 1:19-20 "Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God." I ask what am I doing wrong when I find my self quick to anger time and time again. Lord help me to resist going through the motions and to seek your council in times of anger.

    ReplyDelete