Monday, August 15, 2011

Don't get too comfortable...

Hebrews 11:9-10 "By faith Abraham lived as an alien in the land of promise, as in a foreign land...for he was looking for a city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God."

When I was growing up, we used to sing a song in youth group that went something like this..."This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through. My treasures are laid out somewhere beyond the blue. The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

I think that's how Abraham must have felt. From the time God spoke to him in Ur of the Chaldees and instructed him to go to the "promised land", his life became that of a nomad, following God one step at a time. Even when he reached his destination, his eyes were set on his permanent home - Heaven. He was never truly comfortable in the here and now.

I would like to be more like Abraham. I find myself very much rooted and settled in this world. I'm comfortable here. The problem is that the more comfortable I become, the easier it is to blend in, to compromise, to take on the character and values of this world.

Lord, please help me to be "in this world, but not of it." Let me live out the truth of Romans 12:2..."Don't be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..."

No comments:

Post a Comment