Friday, September 16, 2011

Are you a casual or a committed friend?...

Proverbs 17:17 "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity."

We've all been through tough times. One of the byproducts of adversity is revealing who your true friends are. I remember being surprised at who stood with me and who turned the other way when I was in a difficult situation. It was the loyalty, strength, compassion, honesty, wisdom, and discernment of a few close friends that got me through.

Friendship is a commitment. Just like the marriage vows say, "for better or for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health...", friends stick with each other. Adversity strengthens the bond, deepens the relationship.

I thank God for my friends, particularly for my best friend - my wife. God is gracious to give us the gift of these special people.

Lord, please help me to be a loyal friend. Keep me from taking these relationships for granted. Show me how to express my appreciation to them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment