Wednesday, September 28, 2011

You always hurt the one you love...

Prov 27:5-6 "Better is open rebuke than love that is concealed.  Faithful are the wounds of a Friend..."
Prov 28:23 "He who rebukes a man will afterward find more favor than he who flatters with the tongue."

Nearly every Saturday morning at 7:00 you'll find me and my dogs at C.J.'s house, ready for a walk.  It started 21 years ago when we both realized the need for accountability. Over the years our casual friendship has developed into a "Jonathan-David" relationship.  To say we know each other well would be an understatement. What started as a weekly 30 minute jog and prayer time in 1990 is now a 30 minute walk.  We talk, listen, pray about anything and everything.  Occasionally we ask each other tough, probing questions or make penetrating observations.  Sometimes that hurts, but the pain is inflicted in love.

My natural inclination is to hide my foibles and weaknesses, protect myself, but that tends to stunt my spiritual growth.  Trusting a close friend allows me to be transparent, vulnerable, to risk hurt.  It allows the Holy Spirit to do His work of transforming me into the image of Christ.  I desperately want to grow, to become more like Jesus.  No pain, no gain.  I'm okay with that.  Bring it on.

Lord, thank You for giving me friends who care enough about me to be honest.  Please help me to be real today.

No comments:

Post a Comment