Friday, September 2, 2011

How desperate are you?...

Proverbs 2:4-5 "If you seek her (wisdom) as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasure, then you will discern the knowledge of God; for the Lord gives wisdom and from His mouth come knowledge and understanding."

One of the funniest movies I've seen is the 1963 film, "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World". Director Stanley Kramer assembled a veritable "Who's Who" of film comedy for the slapstick extravaganza about a group of strangers who learn about $350,000 in hidden loot from a dying gangster and set off on a madcap cross-country race to find it. Those people brought the word, "desperate" to life!

When was the last time you found yourself desperately searching for something? It's becoming more frequent for me these days -- not looking for buried treasure, but trying to remember where I put something that I need. :-)

Gaining knowledge, developing insight, growing in discernment and understanding is not a passive process. It requires action - passion, determination, persistence on my part. It is when I am desperate to grow spiritually, when it becomes my focus and I want to spend time with God in His Word, listening to Him -- it's then that I become more sensitive to His direction, I discern His voice, and I know what to say and do.

Lord, I confess that I'm usually too distracted by other things; I get sidetracked and my search for wisdom is not my top priority. I do want to grow in wisdom and discernment. I want to get to know You better today. I'm here. I'm ready. I'm listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment