Friday, September 30, 2011

What's the big deal? It's just a lottery ticket....

Proverbs 30:8-9 "...give me neither poverty or riches; feed me with the food that is my portion, lest I be full and deny Thee and say, 'Who is the Lord?', or lest I be in want and steal, and profane the name of God."

Every time I drive by the corner liquor store the lottery posters beckon me with their promises of millions.  Occasionally they win and I plunk down a couple dollars for a "quick pick", envisioning all the things I could do for God if I won. (That's right...for God.  I'm not selfish.!?? Yeah, right)  Then I think of all the hassles and stress  that would accompany sudden wealth, and the Holy Spirit drags me back to these verses in Proverbs.

If I'm honest with myself, I pray this prayer reluctantly, with mixed emotions.  There's always a struggle going on inside me.  Part of me is pulling me to seek my security in money.  The Spirit is pulling me to trust God and be content with what He provides (Matt 6:33).  One thing I know...the more I have, the less I tend to rely on Him.  That's not good.  So...I push ahead, trusting Him and trying to be a good steward of what He's put in my care.

Lord, You know me inside out.  You know the bottom line is that I do trust You.  You also see the tug-of-war that occasionally surfaces.  Please help me to "live out" that trust today, that I might bring a smile of pleasure to Your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment