Thursday, September 29, 2011

Jesus take the wheel!!

1 Peter 5:5-6 "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, that He might exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you."

Carrie Underwood's first big hit, "Jesus Take the Wheel", underscores Peter's message in these familiar verses.  As I read them once again, something jumped out at me that I hadn't noticed before.  The phrase "casting all your anxiety" describe the process of humbling ourselves before God.  If that is true, then holding on to my anxiety and worry is a sign of pride.

Why do I become anxious?  Why do I worry?  It's usually because something is out of my control, and I want or need to control it.  That's pride.  God wants me to release my anxiety to Him.  After all, He's the only One who can really deal with it.  In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus tells us that worry is needless, useless, and faithless.  If God promises to take care of me and to meet all my needs, why am I so reluctant to let Him do it?  I cast my anxiety on Him like I cast a lure on a lake...sure, I throw it out there, but then I reel it back in.  God wants me to cut the line...cast it and leave it.

Lord, I do trust You.  I believe You can and want to and will take care of every aspect of my life.  Please help me to leave my cares with You today, really leave them.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment